Watercolor Wednesday: October Edition

This month's Watercolor Wednesday is much more packed than I thought it would be. I apparently did a lot more painting after last month's post than I remembered.

First up, another sign for Samwise's birthday later this month. The Man in the Moon sketch here is one I played with a few times this month, and a couple of other sketches of him were in Monday's sketch dump. (I also used this painting as a chance to play with transparency. It worked so well I'm not sure the picture actually captures all the color that's on the page.)



These two bookmarks were an experiment brought on by two factors. First, I ran out of my 5" x 7" (ish) watercolor paper, so I set to cutting up some of my larger sheets. Second, I cannot cut a straight line, so I broke out the paper trimmer, and the sheets were too wide for that even after I'd cut them in half, so I had to cut smaller strips off, resulting in these bookmark-sized pieces. The bookmark on the left is a classic quote from The Last Battle and the right bookmark is my first attempt at a floral painting.



Tow'rs music inspired some of my first watercolors, and I finally set down to try capturing their song "Circles" in a painting. I wound up with these paired pieces.



This is a haunted house postcard I'll be sending out later this week to a friend who really gets into the Halloween spirit. I'm pleased with how the colors turned out, and it's encouraged me to try mixing my colors more when I paint.



Like I said, the Man in the Moon has been a theme lately. Here's a smaller painting of him.



And a postcard for a friend.




This was an attempt to come back to my (first?) watercolor "Night and Moon," inspired by the Tow'rs song "The Kitchen." I LOVE the way the lady on the left turned out, but the background is much less fluid and nebulous than I'd like.




This is an attempt to repaint "Freckles in the Sun" with more fluid colors. I'm not as pleased with the facial features on this one, but I did get some more transparent colors in the hair.




This was another moonscape where I tried to mix my colors on the page and work in some more texture with the trees. I definitely want to come back to the firs and try to do better with them.



That's all for now. Come back next month for more painting, and be on the lookout for another Inktober sketch dump sometime next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity