Monday Musings: Inktober Drawings 9-22

Inktober is almost over! The month has flown by, and I've only shared the first 8 drawings on here, so this post is remedying that lack of art. The words in parentheses (Fairy-tale, Urban, or Forest) indicate which of the original prompts lists I pulled that prompt from.


Day 9: The Genie (Fairy-tale)


This is a (bad) drawing of two of the Djinn from the Albion Quartet. They look smoochier than I originally intended (I was aiming for a hug) but it works. No, you should not consider this a spoiler of things to come in the series. But neither should you consider it not a spoiler.


Day 10: The Goblin Lord (Urban)


I wanted to draw something Labyrinth-related but not necessarily David Bowie. So I found a picture of Toby Froud (the actor who played Toby in the film and also the son of Brian Froud, who worked on the character designs for the film) and drew from there.


Day 11: The Wolf Boy (Forest)


Have I mentioned that I cannot draw people? Or animals?


Day 12: The Mad Hatter (Fairy-tale)


My original intention for this drawing was to do the Hatter in a non-traditional hat. A fedora. A beanie. Something off-the-wall. And then I realized this was the perfect opportunity to vent that urge to draw Bill Cipher that I've had ever since I finished watching Gravity Falls.


Day 13: The Slayer (Urban)


Wanting to do something other than people for this day, I went with a modern slayer's tool kit.


Day 14: The Grandmother (Forest)


I knew as soon as I saw this prompt I wanted to draw Spider Grandmother as she appears in Albion Apparent. I tried to represent the double-vision of her that Merlin Sees in the Second Sight, in which she is both spider and woman, though I think it's a little hard to tell because of the angle I drew her at.


Day 15: The Sandman (Fairy-tale)


I drew a fan-art rendition of Dream from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. Original? No. But I've been reading the series lately and I couldn't get him out of my head when doing this prompt.


Day 16: The Shadow (Forest)


Not the most shadowy drawing I could have done, but the story-description adds some creepiness to it.


Day 17: The School Teacher (Urban)


How about 4 school teachers? These are basically thumbnails of some of the Albion teachers. I'm not convinced the bottom drawing is Vivienne, but I wasn't sure who else it could be. I'm most pleased with Excelsior and Akachi's sketches.


Day 18: The Phoenix (Fairy-tale)


Even though this was a fairy-tale prompt, I used a character from one of my urban fantasy stories. A friend of mine graciously allowed me to use her as a reference for this one. For those of you who are wondering, Ashes and Dust is my to-be-written vampire and phoenix story.


Day 19: The White Snake (Fairy-tale)


All I will say about this one is that the character exists in the Albion Quartet and you will know who it is by the end of Albion Apparent.


Day 20: The Lost Explorer (Forest)


The broken compass was an image I'd had in mind since first seeing this prompt. I wish I'd thought to add some color to this one because I'm finding my ballpoint pens very limiting when it comes to adding definition.


Day 21: The Bogeyman (Urban)


I originally wanted to give the viewer a more Oogie Boogie-like impression of my bogeyman. I think I ended up somewhere more in the vein of Candlejack. Either way, I'm a bit creeped out by my own drawing.


Day 22: The Jabberwock (Fairy-tale)


My design for the Jabberwock isn't terribly original. I definitely leaned on the original illustration for Through the Looking-Glass. I did, however take the "snicker-snack" sound of the vorpal blade and extrapolate that to a pair of scissors (which now I think on it might have been suggested in one of my conversations about the poem with friends over the years).

That's all for today. I'll put the last 9 drawings up next Tuesday sometime after I've finished the last one. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity