ThrowBook Thursday: Top Books of 2017

As the year draws to an end, I thought I would use this month's ThrowBook Thursday to look back on the books that I've enjoyed the most this year. If I've written about the book, I'll link to the post in its description. If not, I'll rave about it a bit. (For the sake of fairness, I'm not considering books that I read for a second or more time this year, else this would be a list of old favorites.)

The Chestnut King by N.D. Wilson


The finale of the 100 Cupboards series. I'll be writing a full review soon, but suffice it to say that this book was immensely satisfying.

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher


I haven't written about my love for this series much, which I hope to rectify in the coming months. I have mentioned it here, here, and here. Turn Coat is the eleventh book in the series, which currently stands at 15 novels, one short story collection, and several graphic novels. A further collection and novel are due out in the next year or two, and Butcher has stated he'll be going to about 20 novels before capping off the series with an "apocalyptic trilogy." So I'm about halfway through the series now, and each book gets better than the last. (Be aware that these books are not for kids or younger teens.)

This book finally resolves some plotlines introduced back in book one (and more in recent books), while still leaving plenty of room for the overarching plot to grow. The characters all behaved as they should while still surprising me as a reader, and (though I didn't catch it as well as I did with Dan Wells' Mr. Monster), I was pleased to see that an inconsistency in a certain character's behavior was addressed in a major way as part of the book's plot. Book 12, Changes, is up next on my reading schedule.

Dandelion Fire by N.D. Wilson


See my review here. A much better (and longer) book than its predecessor. Great for fans of implicit magic systems.

Story Trumps Structure by Steven James


Mentioned here and here. The best book on writing I've read. I recommend it to all writers.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik


See review here. A new favorite fantasy I expect I'll reread again any time now.

The Dot and Ish by Peter H. Reynolds



Two picture books that were recommended to me by a fellow author and artist, The Dot and Ish are aimed at children (and adults) who struggle with their art (no matter what form it takes). Though simple, they capture the complex feelings every artist feels at some point in regard to their work (that it isn't good enough, that we have no skills, etc.) and demonstrate that these feelings are roadblocks to be overcome. If you need some encouragement, check these books out.

Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey


Series mentioned here. Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series is a loosely connected universe of fairy tale retellings that are set in early twentieth century England (with the exception of The Fire Rose, which is set in California). Phoenix and Ashes is the third (fourth counting The Fire Rose, which is a few years older than the "main" series and not numbered in the series officially despite sharing the same universe) in the series and is a retelling of "Cinderella". It reminded me how good Lackey's stories in this series can be (especially after the disappointment that was The Gates of Sleep). The romance was slowly built and realistic (if aggravating at times) and the magic was pushed in new directions. If you enjoy fairy tales, the time period, or alt-history fantasy, check this one out.

Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal


Mentioned here and here. Another alt-history fantasy set in the early 1900s, this book posits that the spiritism movement of the time was based in fact, and the story follows a group of women with the gift to see into the spirit world as they work with a spy network in WWI. It's tightly written and handles all of its elements (thriller, romance, social commentary) with care so that nothing overshadows its neighbors. If you enjoy WWI narratives, urban fantasy, or alt-history, check this one out.

I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells


See review here. The end of Wells' first John Cleaver trilogy, this book shook me to my core (in a good way). If you like tense thrillers that explore the meaning of humanity, read these books.

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab


Series mentioned here. This book was one of my most anticipated books this year. It delivered in every way I expected. There was a redemption arc (of sorts), lots of magic flying around, and character development for every major character. I may have to reread this series soon. (This series is also not for kids or young teens.) 

What were some of your favorite books this year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity