Watercolor Wednesday: Narnia and AprilFae

I know I'm late with this month's art post. I haven't been as actively computering this week and it's always slipped my mind when I've been active. So here we are. I did a couple of Narnia paintings centered around Shasta and joined the April Fae art challenge on Instagram, so I've been very steadily making paintings and drawings for the last two weeks. I also did some prep sketches for the next couple 100 Myths drawings, but I'm saving those for once the final versions are done, probably after April Fae is over.


First up, the Shasta series.

This first one is a rendition of Shasta's night among the tombs of the ancient kings of Calormene. Note the cat keeping him company.



I loved the colors in that one so much I wanted to do a portrait of Shasta with the same scheme. But first, a practice sketch.



Then the colorized version:



Day one of April Fae was the Fool, so I drew a Faerie hunter who felt foolish for taking a bet.



Day two was Titania, so I painted the Faerie queen as she appears in Albion Academy.

 


Day three was moon, so I did a line art drawing based on the poem I wrote that day. (Did I mention I'm also doing a poem-a-day challenge this month?)



Day four was "her eyes were wild" so we have a Fae girl with wildflowers for eyes.



 I didn't get to paint on day five, so for "poison" I drew a Poison Ivan who hangs around the poison ivy plants.



Day six was the Lady of the Lake, and I wound up going a different direction than I intended. She's kind of a mermaid/kelpie looking thing rather than your traditional enchantress.



Day seven's prompt was "Godmother" and I of course had to do something different. I did a fairy godfather inspired by Murray, Martin Short's character in A Simple Wish. He also came out a bit dryadic. 



Day eight was Jenny Greenteeth, and I got to practice drawing something creepy while taking inspiration from The Oh Hellos. That's a win, right?



Day nine was "the veils are thin," and after floundering around with that idea for a while, I got the day's poem written, and the poem inspired a painting. So double challenge for the win.



Day ten was the Oak King, and I didn't get a decent prep sketch done that day, so I free-handed the figure and quickly reminded myself why I prefer having a good sketch done first. I did get some hand lettering in, along with a fun oak leaf in the corner and the crown/tattoo design came out great.



Day eleven was the Holly King, and once I got my concept sketch done, I kept going with more possibilities, so we have a whole royal family of Hollys.


I may do another art post later this month with more April Fae pictures, but if not, the rest will be in next month's post. Are there any that you want to see me do more paintings in that style? Are there some you'd like to see me tackle again? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity