Beautiful People: Author Writing Process

It's time for another Beautiful People link-up! This time, we're talking about the writing process, which will either prove very entertaining or very frightening.



How do you decide which project to work on?

Usually this is determined by one of two things: deadlines and what's occupied my creative attention lately. This often leads to lots of diversionary writing wherein I novel-hop before finishing a book.


How long does it usually take you to finish a project?

Define "project". Drama team sketches take me less than a week usually. Short stories take anywhere from a week to a month. Novels are more complicated. My first novel took 4 or 5 years. The second took 3 months (and currently stands as my only completed NaNo novel). And the third novel I finished was Albion Academy, a project that took 7 years from inception to final draft. I'm not a fast writer on long works, something I'm trying to improve.


Do you have any routines to put you in the writing mood?

I like having writing music going. Sometimes reading a good book puts me in the mood to write. I'm always thinking about my books even when I'm not actively writing. But music and just beginning the work seem to be the best methods for kickstarting my process.


What time of day do you write best?

First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Which may explain the slowness of my process.


Are there any authors you think you have a similar style to?

I've been told I write like Ursula K. LeGuin, but I really can't say I have noticed a continual similarity between my writing and another author's. (I welcome any comparisons you lot want to make. It will give me an idea of what to change or keep.)


Why did you start writing, and why do you keep writing?

Because I love making up stories and worlds. I started writing novels because I wanted to write something that would impact others the way Narnia impacted me. I keep going because I still love making stories and worlds, and because I can't stand the idea of not telling them.


What’s the hardest thing you’ve written?

Any one of my short stories because I have a hard time keeping story ideas contained to less than 10,000 words. The opening chapter of Albion Academy gave me fits.


Is there a project you want to tackle someday but you don’t feel ready yet?

My modern Pinocchio. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready.


Describe your writing process in 3 words or a gif!




What writing goals did you make for 2017 and how are they going?

I wanted to finish Albion Apparent and There's No Place Like Home? I'm still working on the first; TNPLH? is my motivation for getting through Albion Apparent sooner rather than later.

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I love your writing process gif! It made me smile :)
    I personally think there is nothing wrong with taking a long time to write! I just reread Stephen King's On Writing. I believe he says something along the lines of, "Some great writers write quickly, some great writers write slowly. Just write at the pace that is right for you." (I'm paraphrasing, of course.)
    All the best on your novel!

    Sophie
    http://sophiexli.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kermit is me as a Muppet so I thought that GIF appropriate if not the most accurate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity