Coco Review: Family and Creativity

If you've been around me for any length of time, you know I'm usually always late to the game when it comes to keeping up with pop culture. Movies are no exception, even when it comes to movies I'm very excited to see. All of this is to say I've finally seen Disney/Pixar's Coco (and much sooner than I usually see movies after they've left theaters). There are spoilers ahead, but I've done my level best to keep them vague in regard to BIG TWISTS out of respect for those who (like me) are late to the game.






If you're unfamiliar with the movie, Coco is about a boy named Miguel whose family has forbidden music for generations -- all because his great-great-grandfather (a musician) left town and never came back. Not to be undone by his betrayal, his wife, Imelda, decided to support her family by becoming a successful shoemaker, a business the entire family continues to operate today. There's only one problem: Miguel loves music, especially the songs of the famous Ernesto de la Cruz. Miguel has video of de la Cruz's movies, television appearances, and songs, and has even decorated a secret guitar in the manner of de la Cruz's famous instrument.



Though he loves his family, Miguel can't seem to reconcile their hatred for music with his own passion. As the Day of the Dead approaches, he finds himself torn between honoring his family's wishes (and, in keeping with the holiday, the dead members of his family) and pursuing his chance to play in a local music competition. When he breaks into de la Cruz's mausoleum to borrow the famous guitar, Miguel finds himself transported into the Land of the Dead. In order to return to the living world, he must obtain his family's blessing. The problem being that only Imelda will give the blessing, and only if he gives up music forever. Unhappy with this offer, Miguel sets off to find his great-great-grandfather, who he is sure will give him a family blessing without strings (or perhaps with guitar strings).

As someone who has grown up with Pixar films, I've come to expect a lot from their stories. Whether it's Toy Story, The Incredibles, Up, Brave, or Inside Out, I know I'm in for a moving, character-driven story. Coco is no exception to this. Miguel's struggle feels incredibly close for me because although I've been blessed with family that supports my creativity, I know this is not always the case. Whether in family relationships or the business world, creativity is often seen as a stepchild to more "useful" or "practical" skills. (Never mind that creativity and imagination are required for scientific endeavors as well.)

This isn't to say that Miguel is portrayed as the noble artist struggling to overcome the ignorance of those around him. It's clear from the first act of the film that Miguel needs his family's practicality to ground him as much as they need his creativity to free them. When Miguel notices de la Cruz's guitar in a faceless picture of his great-great-grandfather (Imelda was resolute that her husband be forgotten completely), he latches onto the idea that de la Cruz is his great-great-grandfather and uses this belief to justify his rebellion against his family's wishes. Miguel may be the protagonist of the movie, but he has a lot of maturing to do.



This wouldn't be a Pixar film if it didn't have at least one heart-crushing scene, and Coco has several: the scene when Miguel's guitar is destroyed by his angry abuelita (grandmother), spurring Miguel to run away; when Hector's friend vanishes because no one on Earth still remembers him; when the truth behind Hector's death is revealed; when Miguel thinks all is lost; when Hector is on the brink of vanishing; when Miguel returns to the living world and tries to reach Mama Coco with music.

Guys, I don't usually cry or tear up in movies, but Pixar tends to be the exception to that (the beginning of Up, anyone? Or Bing-Bong?). I teared up multiple times in this movie. Despite having some of the twists spoiled for me and my wife and I calling some of the others, I still found myself moved by the emotion of the journey. That's just good storytelling.

And lest I give you the wrong impression, this movie is also full of humor, including may Frida Kahlo references and this scene:



In the end, the message of Coco is not "Family is important" or "Follow your dreams." It avoids going the route of cliche Disneyfied morals in that respect. The message is more like "Families need dreams and dreamers need their families." Miguel has to learn that his family (past and present) is important and worthy of respect. His family has to learn that holding a grudge for decades only poisons you; it does not strengthen you. There is a joy in this movie in seeing relationships mended and wrongs set right. It does not condone paying back evil for evil (though it does take some joy in seeing the villain get his comeuppance). In short, it's a movie that I think is needed today. If you haven't seen Coco, do so.



Have you seen Coco? What did you think? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards