Monday Musings: New Year, New Goals

It's a new year, and while waiting for a new week/month/year isn't the best way to set a goal in place, I'm doing the new year's resolution thing again this year because that's how things have come together around here.

But first, a little self-examination about last year's resolutions.

How did I do last year?

I laid out my personal reading resolution here on the blog. And . . . I did okay.

I kept myself to the read a book to buy a book resolution, mostly. Christmas money kind of did that in.

I didn't do so well with the read a book on the shelf before adding one, though I did switch books out more often than outright adding more. And I only read 12 out of the 62 books on my shelf that were there at the start of the year. That's less than 20% if you're keeping track (and given that my Goodreads total for the year is over 90, I really should have tried to squeeze in more of the original shelf).

But I read more than 20 books beyond my original goal on Goodreads, so I'm not doing too badly.


This Year's Writing Goals

  • Edit Albion Apparent and get it to the publisher. This is my main writing goal for the year.
  • Finish writing "Paper and (T)horns". This has been an ongoing goal since April of last year.
  • Write/edit/complete 1-3 other short works. Just because I want to complete some things in between Albion books.
  • Finish my Fisher King cycle of Arthurian poems. I don't get the poetry bug often, but it hit me earlier this year, and I want to finish this work since it's a chance to examine Arthurian legends from a slightly different angle than the Albion books.

This Year's Art Goals

  • Design 100 Myths. As mentioned in the survey results, I'm going to be designing 100 mythical beings (primarily humanoid, so we won't be seeing my personal Fantastic Beasts book). I have a running list of ideas, but if you have any mythical beings (including deities, demigods, heroes/heroines, fairy tale and folklore characters) that you'd like to suggest for my series, leave them in the comments below! This isn't necessarily a "complete it in 1 calendar year" goal as much as it is an ongoing project to keep me trying new things with my art.
  • Try new things. I have new art supplies (see this month's upcoming Watercolor Wednesday post) that I'm going to be playing with, and I want to stretch myself further with both drawing and painting.

This Year's Reading Goals

  • Read 75-100 books. Including rereads. This is basically the same as last year.
  • Read more than 20% of my bedroom shelf. Because we can always improve.
  • Clear out some of the Kindle to-read pile that's just been mounting up while I ignore the discount ebooks I buy.

This Year's Blog Goals

  • More reviews of all kinds.
  • A new series going through rereads (and first reads) of Shakespeare's plays. This will be a semi-regular feature that may link up with some other bloggers. I'm still working out details, but it's going to happen because I need more Shakespeare in my life.
  • Finish the Osten Ard and O'Brien read-through series. I realize these have been left hanging for a while, and I will get them completed this year.

And that's it. It seems like a lot more than it did when I started typing, but maybe I can find the balance to keep it all going.

Are you setting any new goals for the new year? Tell me about them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity