Top 10 Fantasy Series

I often talk about specific books and series that I love, but I've never broken down (for myself or others) just which fantasy series I love more than all others. So I decided to work out what my top 10 fantasy series of all time are, based on the following criteria: I have to love the themes, the magic, the characters, and so forth (themes of hope, light conquering darkness, etc. being preeminent); how complete is my reading of the series; and how many re-reads have I completed, if any.


The Elemental Masters



The least completely read series on this list, Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters wins a place by virtue of its unique blend of fairy tales, magic, and historical romance. Every time I read a new book in this series, I remember how much I love the world Lackey has created.

The Dresden Files



I'm all caught up on this series barring the newest short story collection, Brief Cases (which is in my ever-growing to-read pile). This series has it all: magic, romance, mystery, vampires, world-changing storylines, and very personal character arcs. It weaves hope and humanity into every story. The characters, relationships, and storylines grow with each book so that, while they can all reasonably stand alone, each book feels more fulfilling for all the hardships that have come before.

Bartimaeus


This trilogy (plus a prequel I've yet to read) packs a lot of development into its three little books. It features a pretty coherent magic system in a world that treats magicians as the upper crust of society (with all the good and bad that entails) and carries its main characters through some major progressions of character. I'm due for a reread.

Old Kingdom/Abhorsen


This series of five novels and two novellas features one of my favorite magical systems ever. There's a magic based entirely on stringing symbols together to form the meaning you want, and parallel to that is the magic of necromancy--calling up (or, in the case of the titular Abhorsens, driving back) the dead. The main characters are all staunch in their beliefs and strive to do the right things. The final book (unless Garth Nix graces us with more) ties all the stories together and finishes things off nicely. I'm also due for a reread here.

Osten Ard


A series so good I reread it to prepare for the long-awaited sequel trilogy . . . that I have yet to begin reading. Book 2 of that trilogy comes out this summer, so I need to get into gear on reading The Witchwood Crown. I've reviewed the books in this series here, but I'll repeat that this series features my favorite twist on a prophecy plot in fantasy along with a perfect slow-burn romance and some iconic characters. Williams's books are what A Song of Ice and Fire wishes it was.

The Dark is Rising


I have a love-hate relationship with this series. I love the Celtic and Arthurian touches in a (slightly) modern setting. I love the disparate storylines coming together. I love that it mixes coming of age, adventure, thriller, and more in its five books. But I don't love the ending, and there are a couple of scenes in the books that rub me the wrong way (like the scene in the church in The Dark is Rising). But it also features one of my favorite Merlins, and I've read the whole series at least twice, so here it is.

Harry Potter


At this point in the list, we're no longer surprising anyone. I've read this series through at least three times and some of the books I've read as many as five times. I love the themes of friendship, bravery, and justice that are the backbone of the series. I love how much Rowling makes us feel for her characters. I love the world she created. You guessed it. I'm due for a reread.

Attolia/Queen's Thief


I've read this series through three or four times (usually whenever a new book comes out). I'll probably read through it again next year when The Return of the Thief finally arrives. I love Gen's cleverness and the way he grows from book to book. I love the layers of intrigue in the middle books that reveal more details with each new reading. I love the way Gen's actions and the actions of those around him serve as the instruments for larger forces.

Middle-earth


I'm listing Middle-earth as a whole because, while The Lord of the Rings is the core of the legendarium, it's not the only book and I really do love The Silmarillion and The Hobbit as well, just in different ways. I've read LotR probably four or five times complete, with a few partial readings thrown in as well. I've read the Sil twice and The Hobbit two or three times, but with this series the number of reads means less to me than the fact that these books resonate with me on a deeply spiritual level. The struggle to find what is right and to do it no matter the cost, the hidden workings of the Valar and Eru in the world to bring about the triumph of good, the small moments of kindness and friendship in the heart of a dark and terrible world--all these and more make me come back to this series with renewed awe for what Tolkien built. And when I leave again, it is with renewed courage to face the world and defy the Shadow.

The Chronicles of Narnia


As I said, no one should be surprised that Narnia tops the list. I've read the whole series more times than I can count. It's been a part of my life for close to twenty years, and it serves me as encouragement and refreshment on some of my darkest days. This is the series nearest and dearest to my heart because it laid down roots there and cannot be removed. I will never not come back to Shasta on the mountainside, Eustace at the well, Lucy and Susan at the Table, Digory in the garden, Puddleglum under the earth. These characters are my constant friends and companions, and the love of their stories has led me to some of my dearest friends on this earth. Whenever I meet Jack Lewis in heaven, I don't know that I shall have words to thank him for what he has given me through these books.


What are your favorite fantasy series?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity