WaterColor Wednesday: 100 Myths and Other Things

Welcome to another Watercolor Wednesday, featuring lots of drawing, a few knit/crochet projects, and some actual watercolor! (Ok, so it was done with pencils, but  it's still painting.)

On with the show . . .

Mirriam did an art auction in which art/crafting projects were acceptable tender (good news for this broke guy), and I won her painting of Azrael from her novel Paper Crowns (and its sequels). [I bid on him because he looks eerily like how I imagine Merlin from Albion Academy, especially after Chapter 11.] In exchange, I created a wand holster to match the Gandalf gloves she commissioned a while back. et viola!


Modified from this pattern

After that, I had two scarves commissioned: one for a friend's wife's birthday in a blend of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff colors (and I forgot to take a picture before I mailed it off! :( ) and one for my pastor using the same pattern as my Newt scarf, but in different colors.

Yes, my pastor is a Ravenclaw and doesn't realize it.

I also did some sketching this month, both in prep for 100 Myths drawings and just to see what I could draw. This guy was an idle sketch drawn while I was at a local writing group.

And a partial view of random angry eyes at the bottom.

Then I had a page of sketches that were prep for other drawings. I started with a sketch for the third 100 Myths drawing, added some beech leaves to prep for the fourth Myth, and then added some faces that were further prep for the fourth Myth.

Beech leaves are beautiful.

I won't tell you which actress the sketches on the right are based on, because they did not come out as well as I'd like.

And here's a close up of the dryad from the bottom left, because he was my best prep sketch for the dryad Myth.



Here's the larger prep sketch for the dryad. His features have changed a good bit because I'm still figuring out how to change scale from sketch to sketch.



Here's the third drawing in the 100 Myths series: Gaia and Uranus.



And the fourth (and latest) Myth: a beech tree dryad. I experimented a little with this one and used my new pen brush as well as my fineliner. I like the shading and think I'll try to do more with this in the future.


And finally, the watercolor sketch page. I used my watercolor pencils to draw out the characters in my mixed media sketchbook. It handled the water very well when I activated the paint, though I'm a bit worried it'll warp too much if I use full watercolor paint on it. The bottom left is a colorized version of the beech dryad sketch above; top left is a toadstool person; middle right is a faun (I'm still not quite sure what to call that guy above him); and on the lower right are some attempts to blend the colors of a beech leaf. I ended up going with a single color in the final version on the left, but it was fun seeing what color blending could do with the pencils.



As always, let me know what you like and what you want to see more of in the future. If there's something you'd like to see me draw or paint that I haven't yet, mention it in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity