Monday Musings: Ghost Story Review

Yep, I finished another Dresden Files book. No, I'm not jumping into the next one right away, much as I'd like to. I need to feed my brain something different for a bit. In any event, on to the review!

SPOILERS AHEAD




Ghost Story picks up immediately after the end of Changes, setting out to resolve the ending that Butcher insists is not a cliffhanger. It follows Harry through his ghostly attempts to solve his own murder.

Like ChangesGhost Story revolves around a mystery, but spends more time on character development and world exploration than the mystery itself. I'm not sure if this is representing a change in the series' focus or Butcher's writing style or both. If it continues in Cold Days and Skin Game, I'll have to start thinking of Changes as more than the midpoint of the series.

I liked seeing the ramifications of Dresden's actions and his death in Changes, especially in how both affected Murphy and Molly, among others. I'm hoping that the developments presented in this book continue in the next few books. Molly especially gets some attention here that makes me excited for what comes next in her story.

The exploration of the ghostly aspects of the Dresdenverse was exciting to see, especially since it followed up on some characters that had been left by the wayside for a few books, particularly Mortimer Lindquist, who gets some real beefing up as a character in this book. Bringing Corpsetaker back in as the villain was brilliant on Butcher's part. Uriel's growing (background) role in the series is certainly setting up things for the final trilogy of the series.

With an ending as enticing (but not nearly as frustrating) as Changes, Ghost Story invites you to push forward into the rest of the series as it now stands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Songs Inspired by Narnia

Top 10 Tuesday: Evil Wizards

Coco Review: Family and Creativity